Every member of the English Faculty will, through their teaching, aim to achieve a learning environment, which encourages and supports our students so that they might achieve their full potential in the study of English and English Literature and Media. We believe that every student should have access to the full curriculum in English and Media and that a partnership between staff, students and parents is the best way to achieve this.
“Language is words. It’s bridges, so that you can get safely from one place to another. And the more bridges you know about the more places you can see!” – Roots – Arnold Wesker
The aims of the curriculum in English and Media are to develop the ability of the student to:-
- communicate accurately, appropriately and effectively in speech and writing
- understand and respond imaginatively to what they hear, read and experience in a variety of media.
- enjoy and appreciate the reading of literature
- employ a sense of critical awareness
- to be able to work confidently in an atmosphere of mutual respect and tolerance
- have equal access to all aspects of English
- be able to use standard English competently when the need arises
- be confident readers, writers and communicators
A reminder that text and reading books must be returned to English teachers or Mrs Ford in C8 before the end of the year. In particular, we remind GCSE students to return Of Mice and Men and An Inspector Calls. If you have any books from previous years, please return them too – no questions asked!