School inspection is currently set out in legislation through the Education Act 2005. In this act, the regular two-day inspection is described as a Section 5 inspection and ‘other inspection’ is described as a Section 8 inspection (in England). This includes the new ‘short inspection’ of schools graded ‘Good`
Schools that are rated Requires Improvement usually have a full re-inspection within 30 months.
Schools rated Inadequate have more regular monitoring, alongside support to improve their rating.
Ofsted inspectors look at four main areas:
- Quality of education
- Behaviour and attitudes
- Personal development of pupils
Schools receive a judgement for each of the four inspection areas, and an overall judgement. There are four numerical grades:
- 1: Outstanding
- 2: Good
- 3: Requires Improvement
- 4: Inadequate
Note: the link below takes you to the highlights of our most recent Ofsted report:
Ofsted takes into account the views of parents and carers giving parents the chance to tell Ofsted what they think of your child’s school, responding to the questions asked.
The questionnaire can be completed at any time – you don’t have to wait until the school is being inspected.
Fairfax Academy was last inspected in March 2019 and remained a good school. The inspection highlighted the following strengths:
- The school is inclusive with high expectations of what all pupils can achieve and where every individual pupil receives strong levels of support, guidance and care.
- The headteacher provides strong leadership and the senior leadership team continue to make improvements.
- Relationships between pupils and staff remain positive.
- Pupils have good attitudes to work and are well behaved.
- In classes, pupils are ready to learn and routines are clearly in place. Pupils show positive attitudes to their learning and are making good progress.
- There is a real commitment to the Academy motto ‘sinceritas laboris’ (there is dignity in labour) And this was seen in lessons and in pupil’s books.
The Academy’s most recent Ofsted report, along with previous reports, can be found below.