Proud to be an FMAT Academy

Fairfax Sixth Form

Support for Year 13 students – Your Future

New for 2024, Year 13 will receive a weekly Personal Development lesson that will support them as they make their decisions about their post 18 options and to prepare them for the world of work and beyond. 

Information on this page will help you in making the transition from Year 13 to your next stage.  You will also find help and information on the main careers page 

If you require any careers advice, you can email Mrs Knowles on: to make an appointment. 



Preparing for University

This course explores and develops key analytical skills that students need in order to succeed at university learning environment.

Keep Talking to NTU!

From Nottingham Trent University:

With everything that’s going on in the world, we know that your students might not be getting the same opportunities to engage with us for advice and support.

They can still stay in touch with NTU, though. In these unprecedented times, we wanted to give them a direct line to the University – and that’s why we’ve set up live chats with our community of NTU reps. It’s a chance for your students to talk to our students (and staff), and find out about:

  • life and learning on campus
  • Nottingham’s highlights, from the people who know it best
  • course content, professional placements and work opportunities
  • fees and finance
  • our entry requirements, and how to apply to NTU

If you are planning on going to Nottingham Trent University and want to ask a question about any of the above, click on the link below.

Nottingham Trent Unibuddy sign up

University of Hertfordshire

Starting university can be a daunting prospect, whether it is worrying about the academic challenges, making friends or adjusting to living away from home. This session will provide tips on how you can prepare for university and address any concerns you may have.


You are nearing the completion of your Level 3 course and a bit undecided about where to go next.

So what are your options?

  • University
  • Apprenticeship (Level3/4)
  • Degree apprenticeship (level 5/6)
  • Work based learning
  • Gap year
  • Employment
  • Self employment

The majority of students (around 75% of the UK’s population) go to University but what about the other 25%.

Apprenticeships have seen the biggest rise however there are a number of students who would like to go down this route but are unsure where to start looking. This fact sheet is to guide you to the popular sites that employers look to advertise on.

Apprentice Hub

Do you want to earn while you learn and get hands-on experience? Have a look at real stories and see how becoming an apprentice changed the following lives.

Instructus Skills

Further education has seen a raft of changes over the last few years, and 2020 looks set to herald a few more. With a new decade now underway we’re here with your primer to apprenticeships over the next 12 months.

Amazing Apprenticeships

An interactive guide for year 12 and 13 students considering apprenticeships: