Fairfax is committed to ensuring every student with SEND while at school has the opportunity to be happy, healthy and achieve their fullest potential, with the aim to enable them to participate in and contribute to all aspects of school life.

Fairfax aims to meet the needs of all students with special educational needs and or disability, in line with the guidance provided by the local authority and the Code of Practice. Through quality first teaching we strive to ensure all students, irrespective of their needs, make progress in all aspects of school life; academically, socially and emotionally.

Download full policy for 2019-2020.

What are special educational needs?

“A learning difficulty or disability is a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others of the same age.”

We provide SEND support for students with significant needs in the following areas:

  • Communication and Interaction
  • Cognition and Learning
  • Social, mental and emotional health
  • Sensory and /or Physical disability.

The department is run by our SENCo, Mrs K Corbett, who can be contacted on 0121 378 1288.

Special Educational Needs (SEN) Report


*Special arrangements in relation to COVID-19*

 Following the closure of schools from the 23rd March 2020 Government guidelines stated:

Vulnerable children include those who have a social worker and those children and young people up to the age of 25 with education, health and care (EHC) plans.

Those with an EHC plan should be risk-assessed by their school in consultation with the local authority (LA) and parents, to decide whether they need to continue to be offered a school or college place in order to meet their needs, or whether they can safely have their needs met at home. This could include, if necessary, carers, therapists or clinicians visiting the home to provide any essential services. Many children and young people with EHC plans can safely remain at home.

 In order to ensure that our pupils with EHC plans are supported we have consulted families with regards to whether or not their child needs to attend school. We have ensured that the expectations for work being done at home is understood and that pupils can access the work being set by school staff. As a school we are undertaking weekly check ins to ensure that pupils outcomes are kept at the forefront and that their emotional needs are being met. Work set by class teachers takes in to account the needs of the pupils in their classes and is open-ended in nature to allow pupils to engage with and further their own learning. Where students access additional support in school, support staff are providing work appropriate to the intervention that was in place.

 Parents of SEND pupils may require our support at this time and the messaging facility on Show My Homework allows for private conversations to be had between staff and parents. The SENCO can be reached at [email protected].

 We are aware that the transition period for our pupils with SEND has been greatly affected by the current situation and we continue to work alongside our primary and post-16 colleagues to ensure that the information needed is shared. As the summer term progresses we will begin to send out transition style material that will endeavour to support all our pupils at this transitional time.

 Resources that support our pupils’ emotional and social development during this unprecedented time have been uploaded on to the school website below. These will continue to be updated as time passes.

 External agencies will only become involved if necessary following the usual graduated response process detailed above.

  • What should I do if I think my child has SEND or disability?
    • Speak to your child’s form teacher/subject teacher;
    • Referral to the SENDCo if there are still concerns. The SENDCo at Fairfax is Mrs Corbett. Tel: 0121 378 1288

    Points which you may want to consider before meeting with the SENDCO:

    –  why you think your child has SEN/disability

    –  whether your child learns at the same rate as other children their age

    –  what the school can do to help

    –  what you can do to help

    • Speak to your doctor if you have any concerns about your child’s learning/ behaviour /well-being
    • Also, if you have any medical paperwork which may be appropriate, please bring it with you to the meeting
  • How will I know how my child is doing?
    • You will receive school progress reports on a regular basis
    • Contact via telephone/letter if there are any concerns about your child from a member of staff
    • Parents evenings
    • School reports
    • You will receive Student Passport/Learning Plan Paperwork for a child with a statement/Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP) or SEND Support
  • How will you know if my child needs extra help?
    • At transition, paperwork is exchanged between schools
    • Teacher’s/TA’s/SENCO’s visit primary schools to gather information
    • Schools make contact with external agencies at transition regarding pupils within their service using information gathered from Year 6 Annual Reviews
    • Year 6 students undertake the Access Reading Test to give us a baseline for their reading comprehension levels
    • KS2 Results/Teacher Assessments
    • Referral will be made to the SENDCO from subject teachers after differentiation and intervention within the classroom
  • How will you let me know about my child’s support?

    Communication via one or more of the following:

    • Contact from teaching staff via letter/phone-call/email
    • Parents evenings
    • Invitation to a meeting with appropriate staff members
    • Letter/phone-call from Special Educational Needs Department (SEND)
    • Outcome from meeting could result in:

    – Plan/Do/Review meeting

    – Student Profile

    • We will write to you about Exam Access Arrangements for your child
  • How can I help to support my child’s learning?
    • Visit the school website and the links to relevant information
    • Check homework planner regularly
    • Encourage your child to attend homework/revision clubs
    • Know your child’s targets and actively encourage your child to work towards them
    • Encourage your child to engage in extra-curricular activities
    • Follow advice given by staff/external agencies
    • Attend planning and review meetings
  • How will my child be involved in planning for his or her education?
    • Take responsibility for their learning
    • Keep their homework planner up-to-date
    • Talk to form teachers/subject teachers/TAs when they have a problem
    • Select their options carefully at the end of Year 8
    • Undertaking relevant assessments to qualify for intervention
    • Be involved in the writing of their Student Profile Sheet
    • Discussions with staff/TA’s about how their education could be improved i.e. what intervention is necessary to enable them to achieve their targets
    • Identified children (at SEND support level or with an Education and Health Care Plan (EHCP)) will plan/do/review their progress
  • What steps Fairfax does take to prevent disabled pupils from being treated less favourably than other pupils?

    Fairfax closely monitors all aspects of school life from extracurricular trips to house participation to ensure that students with a disability are not being treated less favourably than other students.

    Below are some of the steps that Fairfax take to prevent disabled students from being treated less favourably that other pupils:

    • Appropriate Access Arrangements for exams in line with JCQ guidelines.
    • Ensuring that all students have access to all school trips. Where adaptions to trips have to be made, for example D of E expeditions, these are made in conjugation with parents / guardians.
    • Monitoring of attendance and early intervention to support if there are any long-planned absences.
    • Within the House system there are additional activities that students can take part in, if they cannot access some of the sporting events.
  • How will you support my child in starting school and moving on?

    Primary Transition

    • General/SEND information requested from primary schools
    • Primary transition meetings with Y6 teachers and/or SENDCO
    • Transition sessions in primary schools run by secondary subject teachers
    • Year 6 Transition Day
    • Extra transition visits for nominated students from primary schools
    • Review meetings e.g. Annual reviews/CAFs
    • Y6 New Intake Information Evening Arrangements for the admission of disabled students.All students in year 5 with EHCP are welcome to visit Fairfax to meet and discuss on an individual basis their particular needs.  If your child has a disability, but does not have an EHCP, please feel free to contact the SENDCO to arrange a meeting.Students with a disability often require more support with transition to ensure their needs are met.  Once placed at Fairfax, Fairfax will work closely with the primary school and any health care professionals involved to ensure a smooth transition occurs.Fairfax facilities to help disabled pupils to access the schoolFairfax is a fully accessible mainstream school.   We have the following facilities to help disabled students access the school:
      • Lifts in all buildings
      • Ramps into buildings
      • A large number of fully accessible toilets. We have hoists in two toilets.
      • A physio room
      • Physiotherapy
      • Wheelchair room
      • Accessible mini bus
      • Disabled parking
      • The majority of our doors are now on maglocks
      • First Aid room.
      • Student passes
      • Calm break out rooms
      • Accelerated progress area

    Post-16 Transition

    • Liaison with Careers advisor in school
    • Careers education including information about post-16 education options
    • Information about sixth forms, colleges, training providers is given
    • Transition meetings are arranged and relevant information is shared with support staff at college
  • How will you match the curriculum to my child’s needs?

    As outlined in our SEND policy, there is graduated response to meeting the needs of all students with SEND.  The views of the student/ parents / guardians are at the heart of our decision making when reviewing appropriate provision.  Examples of ways in which we match the curriculum are shown below.  (This is not an exhaustive list):

    • Quality First Teaching.
    • Differentiated planning
    • Additional in-class support in appropriate lessons
    • Subject specific intervention sessions
    • Use of Student Profile Sheets to inform staff
    • Specialist equipment provided for students where appropriate
    • Exam Access Arrangements
    • LEXIA lessons
    • Specific interventions.
    • CBT-type interventions
    • Emotional coaching
    • Morning and afternoon briefings
    • Homework support
    • Physiotherapy
  • How will you make decisions about how much support my child will receive?
    • Tracking student progress
    • For students with SEND but without an Education Health and Care Plan (ECHP), the decision regarding the support required will be taken by the SENDCO in consultation with staff and the Senior Leadership Team (SLT)
    • Change in a student’s circumstances which has an effect on their well-being may lead to certain interventions being arranged
    • For students with a statement of educational needs or ECHP, the decision will be reached when a plan is being produced and the needs have been identified.
    • Recommendations resulting from assessments by outside agencies
  • How does the school allocate resources to match the needs of students with SEND?
    • All staff are teachers of SEND and are trained to enable them to meet the variety of needs of students within the classroom
    • In-class support from TA’s
    • Small group support
    • Availability of accessible resources and equipment
    • Exam Access Arrangements
    • External agency support e.g. Speech and Language Therapists, Autism Outreach, Visual Impairment Team, Hearing Impairment Team etc.
    • Provision of specialist resources where an identified need is established
  • What training or expertise do your staff have?
    • In-house and specialist training is provided for all staff. Over the past year this has included:
      •  Epi-pen training
      • Safe Guarding
      • Dyslexia friendly classroom training
      • ADHD awareness
      • Autism Training
      • Literacy
      • Diabetes


    • In school we also have some staff trained in:
    • ASC Lead Practitioner training
    • Qualified first aiders
    • First aid mental health
    • CBT-type intervention
    • Emotional Coaching
    • Personal care needs
    • LEXIA
    • ASDAN
    • Literacy and numeracy interventions.
    • Peer tutoring
    • Continuing Professional Development training as per Performance Management Reviews
    • TAs with specialisms
    • SENCO attends the termly SENDCO update run by Birmingham Local Authority
    • There is an Associate with specific responsibility for SEND.
  • What specialist services could be available for my child?
    School ·         SENDCO

    ·         Experienced TAs

    Independent Advice ·         Parent Partnership – provide support for

    parents in pupil meetings

    Local Authority Support Services


    ·         Pupil and School Support (PSS)

    ·         Educational Psychology Service

    ·         Hearing Impairment Team (HI)

    ·         Visual Impairment Team (VI)

    ·         Physical Disability Support Service (PDSS)

    ·         Occupational Therapist

    ·         Communication and Autism Team (CAT)

    ·         Social Services

    Health Services


    ·         School Nurse/GP

    ·         Children and Adolescent Mental Health

    Service (Forward Thinking)

    ·         Speech and Language Therapists

  • How will you include my child in activities outside the classroom?
    • Your child is invited to access extra-curricular activities at lunchtimes and after school
    • Form tutors will inform their class about extra-curricular activities
    • Completing relevant risk assessments for out of school activities
    • Planning for appropriate transport and reasonable adjustments to make sure that all pupils are able to take part.
  • What should I do if I have a complaint?

    Please contact the SENDCo if the complaint is related to SEND provision.

    Please follow the standard school complaints procedure. This is found on the school website.

  • Where can I find more information or advice?
    • Birmingham City Council website


    • Parent Partnership

    [email protected]

    This is not an exhaustive list, other sources are available.      

  • Birmingham's local offer. Information on special educational needs or disabilities. SEN Local Offer