When the employer receives a letter of application they must decide if they are to short list the applicant. You need to know how important this letter is. Will your letter give you a chance? Below is a list of things that should be included in a letter of application. This exercise will help you write a letter, remember it well, as you may have to write a number of such letters in the future!
Your letter should include
- Your address in full
- Name and address of the person/company you are writing to
- Greeting (if you don't know the person's name use Dear Sir / Madam)
- The work experience job applied for
- Dates of the work experience
- School attending
- Subjects studying
- Experience and interests
- Personal qualities
- Why should you be considered?
- A formal closing, if Sir / Madam then close with "Yours faithfully", if writing to a named person then it should be "Yours sincerely"
- Your signature
Points to consider
- Your letter should be polite, clear and to the point
- Use good quality paper and write in ink or type it
- Your letter should be clean and neat
- All words should be spelt correctly
- Write out your letter in rough first
- Keep a copy of the letter so that you can remember what you wrote