SEND Parent Information Report

SEND Parent Information Report

What are special educational needs?

“A learning difficulty or disability is a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others of the same age.”

 We provide SEN support for students with significant needs in the following areas:

  • Communication and Interaction
  • Cognition and Learning
  • Social, mental and emotional health
  • Sensory and /or Physical

Please see separate sheet detailing the types of provision offered at Fairfax

What should I do if I think my child has SEND or disability?

  • Speak to your child’s form teacher/subject teacher;
  • Referral to the SENCO if there are still concerns. The SENCo at Fairfax is Mrs Williams. Tel: 0121 378 1288

  Points which you may want to consider before meeting with the SENCO:

      -  why you think your child has SEN/disability

      -  whether your child learns at the same rate as other children their age

      -  what the school can do to help

      -  what you can do to help

  • Speak to your doctor if you have any concerns about your child’s learning/behaviour/well-being
  • Also, if you have any medical paperwork which may be appropriate, please bring it with you to the meeting

How will I know how my child is doing?

  • You will receive WAG (Working at Grades) reports on a regular basis
  • Contact via telephone/letter if there are any concerns about your child from a member of staff
  • Parents evenings
  • School reports
  • You will receive Student Profile Paperwork for a child with a statement/Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP) or SEND Support

How will you know if my child needs extra help?

  • At transition, paperwork is exchanged between schools
  • Teacher’s/TA’s/SENCO’s visit primary schools to gather information
  • Schools make contact with external agencies at transition regarding pupils within their service using information gathered from Year 6 Annual Reviews and CAF meetings
  • Year 6 students undertake the Access Reading Test to give us a baseline for their reading comprehension levels
  • KS2 Results/Teacher Assessments
  • Referral will be made to the SENCO from subject teachers after differentiation and intervention within the classroom

How will you let me know about my child’s support?

Communication via one or more of the following:

  • Contact from teaching staff via letter/phone-call/email
  • Parents evenings
  • Invitation to a meeting with appropriate staff members
  • Letter/phone-call from Special Educational Needs Department (SEND)
  • Outcome from meeting could result in:

      - Plan/Do/Review meeting

      - Student Profile

  • We will write to you about Exam Access Arrangements for your child

How can I help to support my child’s learning?

  • Visit the school website and the links to relevant information
  • Check homework planner regularly
  • Encourage your child to attend homework/revision clubs
  • Know your child’s targets and actively encourage your child to work towards them
  • Encourage your child to engage in extra-curricular activities
  • Follow advice given by staff/external agencies
  • Attend planning and review meetings

How will I be involved in planning for my child’s education?

  • Open evenings
  • Parents evening/Form Teacher/Subject Teacher
  • Planning meetings about your child’s needs
  • Discussions with external agencies
  • Review meetings to explore if your child’s needs are being met
  • Feedback from Student profile reviews

How will my child be involved in planning for his or her education?

  • Take responsibility for their learning
  • Keep their homework planner up-to-date
  • Talk to form teachers/subject teachers/TAs when they have a problem
  • Select their options carefully at the end of Year 8
  • Undertaking relevant assessments to qualify for intervention
  • Be involved in the writing of their Student Profile Sheet
  • Discussions with staff/TA’s about how their education could be improved i.e. what intervention is necessary to enable them to achieve their targets
  • Identified children (at SEN support level or with a statement or an Education and Health Care Plan (EHCP)) will plan/do/review their progress

How will you support my child in starting school and moving on?

Primary Transition

  • General/SEND information requested from primary schools
  • Primary transition meetings with Y6 teachers and/or SENCO
  • Transition sessions in primary schools run by secondary subject teachers
  • Year 6 Transition Day
  • Extra transition visits for nominated students from primary schools
  • Review meetings e.g. Annual reviews/CAFs
  • Y6 New Intake Information Evening

Post-16 Transition

  • Liaison with Careers advisor in school
  • Careers education including information about post-16 education options
  • Information about sixth forms, colleges, training providers is given
  • Transition meetings are arranged and relevant information is shared with support staff at college

How will you match the curriculum to my child’s needs?

  • Differentiated planning
  • Additional in-class support in appropriate lessons
  • Subject specific intervention sessions
  • Use of Student Profile Sheets to inform staff
  • Specialist equipment provided for students where appropriate
  • Exam Access Arrangements

How will you make decisions about how much support my child will receive?

  • Tracking student progress
  • For students with SEND but without an Education Health and Care Plan (ECHP), the decision regarding the support required will be taken by the SENCO in consultation with staff and the Senior Leadership Team (SLT)
  • Change in a student’s circumstances which has an effect on their well-being may lead to certain interventions being arranged
  • For students with a statement of educational needs or ECHP, the decision will be reached when a plan is being produced and the needs have been identified.
  • Recommendations resulting from assessments by outside agencies

How does the school allocate resources to match the needs of students with SEND?

  • All staff are teachers of SEND and are trained to enable them to meet the variety of needs of students within the classroom
  • In-class support from TA’s
  • Small group support
  • Availability of accessible resources and equipment
  • Exam Access Arrangements
  • External agency support e.g. Speech and Language Therapists, Autism Outreach, Visual Impairment Team, Hearing Impairment Team etc.
  • Provision of specialist resources where an identified need is established

What training or expertise do your staff have?

  • In-house and specialist training is provided for all staff
  • Specific training in aspects of SEND through in-service training
  • Continuing Professional Development training as per Performance Management Reviews
  • TAs with specialisms
  • SENCO attends the termly SENCO update run by Birmingham Local Authority
  • There is an Associate with specific responsibility for SEN.

What specialist services could be available for my child?


  • Experienced TAs

Independent Advice

  • Parent Partnership – provide support for

    parents in pupil meetings 

Local Authority Support Services


  • Pupil and School Support (PSS)
  • Educational Psychology Service
  • Hearing Impairment Team (HI)
  • Visual Impairment Team (VI)
  • Physical Disability Support Service (PDSS)
  • Occupational Therapist
  • Communication and Autism Team (CAT)
  • Social Services

Health Services


  • School Nurse/GP
  • Children and Adolescent Mental Health

    Service (Forward Thinking)

  • Speech and Language Therapists


How will the school know that its SEND provision is effective?

  • Your child is happy in school and showing expected progress
  • School will gather information about the progress of your child through regular assessment of individual subjects which will indicate if your child is making expected progress and this will be shared with you
  • Interventions will be assessed to indicate progress or not and this will be used to plan for your child’s needs within school
  • OFSTED reports

How will you include my child in activities outside the classroom?

  • Your child is invited to access extra-curricular activities at lunchtimes and after school
  • Form tutors will inform their class about extra-curricular activities
  • Completing relevant risk assessments for out of school activities
  • Planning for appropriate transport and reasonable adjustments to make sure that all pupils are able to take part.

What should I do if I have a complaint?

Please contact the SENCo if the complaint is related to SEND provision.

Please follow the standard school complaints procedure. This is found on the school website.

Where can I find more information or advice?

·Birmingham City Council website

·Parent Partnership

·Council for disabled Children

·Independent Parental Special Education Advice (IPSEA)

This is not an exhaustive list, other sources are available.